Most of you know why our blog is named what it is. We love dogs! I have had 3 Great Danes in my life and shared 2 of them with Carla. We love all dogs but think danes are the best because they fit our lifestyle so well. They need some regular exercise but most of the time they are basically couch potatoes who just want to be with their people.
Anyone who has ever had a dog knows how great it feels to come home to them. There's nothing like a dog to make you feel welcome. Tail wagging 100 miles an hour, 200% attention to you, circling, more wagging, often a happy little growl or whimper, acting like their life is now complete since you are there. They wait impatiently for you to pet them and tell them how great they are. You are the center of their life. You are your dog's best friend. They give total and complete unconditional love. How much better can it get. If we treated each other that way we wouldn't need dogs in our society. But, we do need them...as much as they need us.
I'm not saying I'm not excited to come home to Carla or that she doesn't make me feel welcome. But, her welcome is different from the dogs. Better in most ways. But still, there's nothing like a dog. And I know Carla understands this.
We are now dogless. For the first time in 13 years its just the two of us. We are empty nesters. I think that is one of the reasons Carla has struggled lately with her pain. There's no one around to take her mind off it, no one to take care of but me. And, for the first time in 3 months I'm on the road again. So, if any of you have a spare minute or two, she would appreciate it if you'd pick up the phone and call, even just to say "Hi". For us "Oldsters" phoning is still better than texting. We like to hear your voice. It feels more personal than texting. We're old fashioned that way. And that's something that probably will never change. Thanks to all who have helped Carla get through this. She's on the mend and probably won't need knee surgery after all. "Whoohoo" from both of us!
10 years ago
1 comment:
Hello guys! I was very surprised to see your comment on our blog! Don't worry, I'm not offended anymore! :) Carla, I hope that everything goes well with you, and I'm glad you don't have to have knee surgery. I can't believe you guys are actually dogless right now! We went to the pet shop the other day so Hayley could see the dogs, and we got a beagle basset hound out to play around with, it was adorable. If we had any money, I probably would've boughten it on the spot! Take care guys! We love you!
Post a Comment