Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Dogs, dogs, and more dogs!

As many of you know, I (Carla) started a new job a few weeks ago. For those of you that don't know, I am now a receptionist at a Veterinary Hospital. As a receptionist I do more than just answer the phones and greet people. I also prepare files for a patient's visit, weigh all animals that come in, do errands for the doctors, clean the rooms and waiting room, etc.

It has taken a while to get used to it because it is so different from anything I have done before. I am much more active, sitting still for only a few minutes at a time. I'm used to spending hours in front of a computer not moving. Being so active keeps me from stiffening up or falling asleep. This is a definate plus.

The worst part of this job is the Euthenasias. It is so hard to see a beloved pet die. Having been through it, I know how hard it is on the family. I just have to remember that it is for the best and the pet doesn't have to suffer anymore. That sounds like a cliche but it is true. Sometimes I wish we could do this for people.

The best part of this job is the puppies. Everyday puppies come in and I get to hold them and play with them. It can turn the worst of days into a great day. Can't be sad, angry, or bummed out when there is a puppy around.

Of course there are cats, too. The more I work with them, the more I am convinced cats were never meant to be pets. They are too independant and are full of attitude. Give me a dog any day!

We are a full service hospital for cats and dogs so that includes surgery. Not only do I get to watch but I am encouraged to watch so I can learn the procedures and explain to people what their pet will be going through. I used to think that I wanted to be a Veterinarian but after watching surgeries, I am glad I am not.