It happens every 2 years. I think I can avoid it but I always get reeled in, and, after a few minutes I'm hooked. I get home from work and turn on the tv and the next thing I know its midnight and I've accomplished nothing! And I have to get up at 6am the next morning.
Of course, I'm talking about the Olympics. The summer and winter Olympics alternate every 2 years, as you know, and we get to see the best athletes from around the world compete against each other. We sometimes see super-human achievements by athletes from The United States of America like Michael Phelps, Dara Torres and Shawn Johnson. But, in the light of true Olympic Spirit, I can enjoy the same effort and excellence from athletes from any country. Tell me what Usain Bolt did was not incredible! Or that extremely vain chick from France (yes, that could be redundant) in the Pole Vault. She may love the attention (and drive me nuts!) but at least she can back it up on the pitch.
A phrase I hate because it is so overused that it has become almost meaningless is, "Like no other." Well, if you want to know what it really means, watch the Olympics. These are athletes whose preparation and effort are truly "Like no other." They embody the real meaning behind the Olympic Motto from which I titled this post. And, as Baron Pierre de Coubertin said, it is "a motto for people who dare to try to break records."
I've been alive for a long time and one of my favorite memories from watching the Olympics you've all seen in a commercial. It is watching the marathon runner staggering into the stadium after hours of running. Exhausted, overcome by the effort, he falls. And, out of the stands runs a man who comes over, helps the marathoner to his feet and holds him up while they walk together to the finish line. It is the runners father.
There are so many messages in this image. We all need someone to help us at times in our life. Sometimes our strength isn't enough and we need a helping hand or a shoulder to lean on. Sometimes we just need to feel we aren't alone. And that's the purpose of family. And friends. We're here to help each other. Sometimes I really do need you. And I hope I am able to return the favor when you are in need.
I finish this post with The Olympic Creed because it defines our purpose here:
"The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well."
10 years ago